210 S. Lamar Street
The Poston home, built in 1908 by George Poston is an example of Classic Revival architecture complete with Greek Ionic columns, a colonnaded porch and four elegant wooden balustrades which unify the visual motif. It is distinguished by its fan lighted door and twin-columned portico in front and another portico on the side. A splendid view of Weatherford can be had by a climb to the widow’s walk which crowns the hipped roof. The interior of the home follows the Edwardian interpretation and features plastered walls throughout the twelve rooms, transoms above most of the doors and a quite advanced concept for its day, a bathroom with the water closet, lavatory and bathtub in separate compartments. Following a fire in 1930, light fixtures of the Art-Deco period were added along with oak floors.
George C. Poston was a renowned businessman in the early years of Weatherford. A brother W.C. Poston, built an identical house in Hamilton, Texas at a cost of $5,700 and it is still owned by his son. In 1883, George C. Poston and J.D. Baker opened Baker-Poston Co., the first of a chain of stores in Weatherford. Poston’s partner, J.D. Baker, built the gray Victorian home across the street at 304 S. Lamar. The Poston home was the scene of many great social affairs, including the wedding of their daughter, Mary (Poston) Baker.
Click Here to Return to the Heritage Map