Civil War Memorial
The Sam Lanham Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) was organized 17 October 1908, with twenty-two charter members. The objectives of the organization were “Memorial, Benevolent, Educational, and Social.”
The Chapter erected this Confederate Monument on the Courthouse Square beginning with its base in 1915. The statue was placed on the base 25, November 1925. The life-sized statue and base of gray granite cost approximately $3000.
The statue is a replica of one in National Park at Chattanooga, Tennessee. That statue is considered the most beautiful, detailed, and accurate of the many statues erected throughout the Southern States following the Civil War. In addition to the uniform and gun, the soldier carries a full complement of equipment including water canteen, bayonet, belt, and cartridge box.
Return to the Heritage Map