402 Garner Road
Evan Jones designed and built this lovely gingerbread house in 1885 for William Flinn and his wife Alice. The home’s five main gables and extensive gingerbread is representative of its construction period. Mr. Flinn was a well-known bridge builder whose most noted construction was a bridge on North Main Street crossing Town Creek. The bridge was recorded as the widest in the world at the time. This home originally sat on Second Street. Sister Lillian and Mary Hannah Jones, daughters of the bridge builder, bought the home about 1962, and had it moved to its current location. Lillian (1902-1987) dealt in antiques and Mary Hannah (1899-1987) taught at Travis Elementary School for over 50 years. Lillian added the North wing in order to house her antique shop. She used architectural parts from other Victorians being torn down in the area. They both lived in the home until their deaths.
Click here to return to the Heritage Map