811 South Waco Street
Built in 1901 by Emmet and Ella Hatcher, this two story “Polly Pocket” house is typical of homes built at the turn of the last century. It includes wrap around porches, gingerbread trim, heart of pine floors, bead board paneling, pocket doors and transoms between all the rooms downstairs. The back walls of the sleeping porch ceiling joists are cantilevered. Built before air conditioning, its 13-foot ceilings provide natural cooling in Texas summers.
Emmett and his father, Jordan, were local dry good merchants and owned a business on North Main Street. They offered the cities first home delivery service. By 1910, Emmett had passed away and his family moved next door with Jordan and his wife Mollie. Shortly thereafter Tom and Annie Granstaff purchased the home and lived in it until the mid 1950’s. The home fell into disrepair and by the 1970’s was condemned and slated for destruction. The home was then salvaged and restoration begun.
“Victorian Homes” magazine featured this Pyramid Victorian home in their 1987 spring edition. John Crospy Freeman, feature writer for the magazine wrote, “The lacy spandrel cornices of both floors linking the tops of the porch columns provide tense drama, looking like they could break any minute. And why hasn’t the great pyramid spun between the corner rooms crushed the recessed, wrap-around verandah?” The home received the Weatherford Community Revitalization Property of the Month Award in February 1987.
Click Here to Return to the Heritage Map