Mrs. F. Tandy Home
402 W. Simmons
This five room Victorian cottage was built between 1889 and 1900 for Mrs. Frankie Hutchison Tandy and her husband Mr. G. A. Tandy, by John Y. Hutchison, her brother in Tennessee. Mr. Tandy was a local businessman, philanthropist, and city alderman (1887). G.A. and Frankie Tandy came to Weatherford from Kentucky with their family and other families in a wagon train in 1872. In 1901 tragedy struck the family when two sons and their wives died from illness and an accident within a few weeks and Mrs. Tandy was left to raise four orphaned children in this house. She lived here until her death on December 3, 1926. Mr. and Mrs. Tandy were parents of Annie Hutchison Tandy who married Alexander Rawlins, founder of Alex Rawlins & Sons Memorials. The house was bought by War Bankhead in 1928 for the purchase price of $800 from Laura F. Hutchison. The house was sold many times, mostly as rental and investment property.
The outside of the home is Victorian with transitional move in style toward Eastlake. This is exhibited by the traditional Victorian “fish scale” shakes on the gable, coupled with the simple “Star of Texas” detailing. A gothic picket fence was built to replace an original which had been removed many years ago. Remodeling and modernizing occurred during the 1920’s. An oak floor laid over the original pine floor was added. The bathroom was added and living room extended by removing the central hall. The wall coverings include typical wainscoting and bulls-eye with leaf head blocks.
Click here to return to the Heritage Map