Skip to main content
HomeJenkins Home

 

 

The Jenkins Home 

605 South Waco

 

The home was built in 1917 by Clande and Mary Helm.  The Helms left Weatherford following the collapse of the peanut oil business shortly after WWI.  It was later purchased in 1926 by O.S. and Bleanor Jenkins, who were the owners for the next fifty years.  They owned a dry goods store on the northwest corner of the square.  The Jenkins enlarged the living space by enclosing the wrap-around front porch and adding area to the dining room and one of the bedrooms.  They also moved the front entrance from Couts Street to Waco Street.  The plain, unadorned architecture of the home was an expression of the limits imposed on building during the war years.

 

Return to the Heritage Map