Greenwood Memorial Chapel
November 6, 1905 John Vincent and wife Minnie donated a parcel of land located in the Greenwood community for the expressed purpose of building a Methodist Church. The building was erected in 1906 by A.J. Berkley along with volunteers of the Greenwood Community. Mr. Berkley lived from November 1, 1855 until March 9, 1948 and is buried in the Greenwood Cemetery. Donations were given to pay for the building construction materials. Gladly accepting these donations was the first pastor of the church, the Reverend A.P. Smith. He served in this capacity from 1904 to 1907. Beginning in 1904 and until construction of the church was completed the members met in the schoolhouse. Upon completion a dinner was given by the members to raise money for the last payment.
The first schoolhouse was a one room structure built in 1883 also by the people of the community. When the building was completed, it was christened by having a bucket of water thrown upon it. The people of the Greenwood Community took great pride in the fact that students who once attended the school went on to have successful positions in life, such as, teachers, doctors, nurses, state government and many other positions of honor. Early day entertainment for these young folks of the community considered of candy breaking, parties and literary societies.
The Methodist church along with the Baptist church, the “old rock school,” a school and a general store were the main centers of activity in the Greenwood Community. The general store would be stocked with cloth sold by the yard, groceries, school supplies, candy and hardware. Gasoline was not available as there were very few automobiles at the time. Church revivals in the summer were often held under a brush arbor as the church had no cooling system. Cardboard fans were used by hand and were often donated by business firms in Weatherford. During the winter the church congregations were warmed by one large wood burning iron stove. However the summer revivals were outdoors and it was a common sight to see the parents of small children come each night with a quilt for a “pallet.”
These pallets would be spread on the ground so when the little ones became sleepy they would lie down and sleep the remainder of the service. Often during the service a person would become so overjoyed about their salvation that they would shout out about their feelings.
Everyone came to church in horse drawn buggies’, wagons or on horse back. They would tie their teams and horses under the oak trees or to fence posts. The church was closed in 1967 by the central Texas Conference at which time the building was purchased by a group of interested people. Features of the interior consist of hardwood flooring, wooden pews and a pastoral alcove. The numerous larger windows located along the sides of the chapel, provided of lighting and cooling. The church is now the Property of the Greenwood Community Cemetery Association and is known as the Greenwood Memorial Chapel. The Chapel is still in use today for special occasions. This beautiful clapboard is a landmark and a wonderful piece of Parker County History.
Click here to return to the Heritage Map