1105 Palo Pinto Street
This Queen Anne style home was built in 1896 for the family of C. D. Hartnett, early day banker and wholesale grocer. A native of Ireland, the family had come to the United States in 1863 and his father was in the business of railroad contracting. In 1880 C.D. came to Weatherford and entered the grocery business with A.F. Starr. For a time, 1894-1904, he was President of the First National Band but returned to the wholesale grocery business, a company still in business as C.D. Hartnett Co., owned by his grandson, Charles Milliken, and great-grandchildren. Located high upon a hill west of downtown Weatherford, the four story mansion appears even greater than it’s 10,000 plus square feet. The turret reaches from the first floor to the third floor. Given the lofty location, summer breezes kept the home cool when the heat was at its worst. The house soon became known as “Denver” to the guests who were invited to escape the sweltering summers. Keeping the home warm in the winter was the purpose of the five main fireplaces, whose mantels are believed to have been made in Italy.
Dividing a portion of the twenty-nine rooms are four sets of ten foot tall pocket doors, the largest extant in Weatherford. Several balconies reach out of the home offering multi-directional and spectacular views of Parker County. A wine and root cellar is reached by a stairway off the pantry. Stained glass windows offer a kaleidoscope of light into many rooms.
It is situated on three and one-half landscaped park-like acres.
Return to the Heritage Map